The new Northwestern Mutual Community Park is an entirely redeveloped entertainment space for families at Henry Maier Festival Park. The park will be available for families during Summerfest, ethnic and cultural festivals, as well as other events held throughout the season. In addition, it will be open for use by the community, at no charge, on select non-event days, during the summer.
The new Northwestern Mutual Community Park features all new accessible playground equipment for children ages 6 months to 12 years, along with new permanent family restrooms. The new park provides engaging and accessible play for all children.
Construction Timeline: October 2020 – June 2021
Northwestern Mutual Community Park Features:
- Enhanced Play Equipment: All new age-appropriate playground equipment for toddlers, preschool-age through school age-children. Interactive musical play is also incorporated throughout the playground. The play area has a soft surface flooring for safer play, shaded seating area for parents, and is defined by a perimeter fence.
- Flexible Stage: A new, permanent stage structure with accessible seating, and a viewing area for over 500 patrons. The performance stage is elevated, covered, and wheelchair accessible.
- Family Services Building: Addressing the specific needs of families, a new 1,800 square foot, air-conditioned family services building, which is fully accessible, features the following:
- Permanent Family Restrooms: Accessible restrooms equipped with changing tables for babies, children, and adults requiring an assistant.
- Nursing Mothers Stations: For mothers seeking a quiet space to nurse.
- Sensory Rooms: Three individual and wheelchair accessible, air-conditioned quiet rooms, creating a calm environment for children that may be overstimulated by the noise, environment, or experience.
- Accessibility: A guiding priority of the design is to offer inclusive play for children who may experience a variety of challenges.
- Toddler Play Area: The former stage area has been converted to a covered play area for toddlers with age- appropriate activities and equipment. The area is known as the “Giggle Grounds”
- Flexible Programming Space: Over 4,000 square feet is devoted to flexible programming, which will allow local organizations and non-profit partners to provide interactive programming, on a rotational basis.
- Environmentally Conscious Design: The project actively integrates environmentally conscious design, including storm water management; recycled content on playground surface and equipment, and steel structures; LED lighting, and low-energy consumption fixtures; low-flow Zurn bathroom fixtures, and locally sourced products and materials.
Grand Opening: June 2021
Square Footage: 54,000 square ft or approx. 1.25 acres
Eppstein Uhen Architect – Lead Architect
Ambrose Engineering, Inc. – Structural Engineer
RA Smith – Landscape Architect
The Sigma Group – Civil Engineer
Giles Engineering – Geotechnical and Environmental Consultant
Construction Manager: JCP Construction
Playground Equipment Suppliers:
Northland Recreation, LLC – Little Tikes Commercial
Gerber Leisure Products, Inc. – Landscape Structures
Lee Recreation, LLC – BCI Burke Company, LLC
For more information on the Northwestern Community Park visit MilwaukeeWorldFestival.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: