In addition to producing Summerfest presented by American Family Insurance, Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. maintains and develops the 75-acre lakefront parcel known as Henry Maier Festival Park, leasing the parcel from the City of Milwaukee through the year 2030, and hosting a variety of ethnic and cultural festivals, walks, runs, concerts and other events along with approximately 1.5 million patrons each year at the site.
Job Department: Accounting/Finance
Reports to: Controller
Job Type: Full-time Salary
Revised Date: October 4, 2021
The Assistant Controller works with the Controller to lead the finance/accounting organization by providing information, primarily financial in nature, about all company activities that will assist management in making educated economic decisions about the company's future.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leads month-end accounting close process to ensure effective, timely, and accurate results.
- Assists in the preparation and consolidation of monthly financial statements.
- Supervise the Senior Staff Accountant and Director of Ticketing.
- Prepare and file monthly sales tax returns.
- Prepare all cash receipts for entry into accounting software.
- Generate accounts receivable invoices.
- Maintain budgets and participate in strategic planning process.
- Oversee the fixed asset system and reconcile to the general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Assist with the external financial audit.
- Maintain a safe, positive and productive work environment and ensure this intent is communicated and adhered to by all laterals and subordinates.
- Work with other departments in implementing contingency, continuity and recovery plans.
- Communicate relevant information to department and others within the company within a timely manner through proper channels.
- Continually strive for improved means and methods toward department management, including giving and receiving feedback from colleagues, subordinates, and upper management.
- Maintain positive, cooperative, team-oriented attitude and abide by all MWF Human Resources and Legal policies toward treatment of all MWF employees.
- Complete all duties otherwise assigned.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of accounting and business concepts.
- Working experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP software.
- Working knowledge of Ticketmaster programs and software is a plus.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize deadlines.
- Ability to resolve complex customer service and conflict management issues.
- Highly organized with the ability to manage various projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills.
- Functional knowledge of the special event business is a plus.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Valid driver’s license.
Education and/or Experience
- A bachelor or master degree in accounting is mandatory.
- A minimum of five years of relevant accounting experience. Managerial experience is preferred.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
- Knowledge of Great Plains accounting software is recommended.
- Exposure to the various components and programs in the Ticketmaster ticketing environment is also recommended.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret company policies, budgets, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Employee may be exposed to certain risks or hazards that are typically associated with an outdoor public venue.
- Some travel may be required
- Employee will frequently work overtime including evenings and weekends.
- Employee will be exposed to various weather conditions.
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc., provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of a person's race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), age, national origin, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We also abide by the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law governing employment of individuals with disabilities.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Job Applicant Submission: Assistant Controller" in the subject line for a chance to further explore this opportunity.