In addition to producing Summerfest presented by American Family Insurance, Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. maintains and develops the 75-acre lakefront parcel known as Henry Maier Festival Park, leasing the parcel from the City of Milwaukee through the year 2030, and hosting a variety of ethnic and cultural festivals, walks, runs, concerts and other events along with approximately 1.5 million patrons each year at the site.
Job Department: Operations
Reports to: Facility Manager
Job Type: Full-Time Salary
The Maintenance Technician position is responsible for providing building, property and equipment upkeep, as well as repair for facilities owned and leased by Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. The Maintenance Technician is tasked and responsible for applying basic fixes to equipment and building systems to ensure facilities are functional for guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Proven experience with upkeep of facilities such as offices, backstage production areas, restrooms, buildings, fences and gates, a water feature fountain, while often applying a variety of skills, such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, electrical, and janitorial skills. Besides working from employee generated work orders and repair requests, the position is required to patrol the premises to determine if any hazards are present, and any issues that are discovered should be resolved immediately.
- Execute the repair and maintenance of a variety of facility and grounds elements including but not limited to offices, stage backstage areas, restrooms, miscellaneous buildings and structures, fences, and gates.
- Ensure calls for service are addressed in a timely and professional manner by processing work orders on a regular basis, prioritize and fulfilling requests while providing feedback on progress of the project to the instigator of the work and Facility Manager in order to communicate the status of the order.
- Work alongside third-party service providers such as elevator service technicians, crane operators, pest control services, and in-house trades contractors to make certain the scope of work for both parties is being met.
- Daily and weekly tours of the property include but are not limited to fence-line and gate review for damage, facility inspections for repair needs, bathroom inspections for damage or graffiti, office needs such as paint touch ups, mechanical failures, concert venue chair repairs, climate control setpoints are proper, and roof inspections conducted on a regular basis.
- Determination of what could be repaired in-house and what needs the attention of a trades while communicating that to the Facility Manager.
- Assistance with the winterization of all facilities and grounds and work alongside snow plowing and salting team to make certain sidewalks, roadways and parking lots are free of ice and snow.
- Work alongside seasonal employees to assist with special projects such as picnic table repairs, minor painting projects and restaurant walk throughs before and after event use.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance to ensure that building systems operate efficiently and that the physical condition of buildings do not deteriorate.
- Clean and repair building fixtures including lights, locks, windows, doors, screens, walls, floors, gutters, elevator equipment and drains.
- Perform maintenance tasks such as carpentry, painting, masonry, plumbing and electrical repairs to ensure that the buildings are properly maintained.
- Assist with the safe and healthy operational of a seasonal water feature known as the Splash Pad
- Focus on and be a part of the organization’s safety and training program on an on-going basis. Assist with staff training and certification of equipment such as hand tools and power tools.
- Provide for the safe, fiscally responsible and efficient operation of the facility to the highest industry standards and best practices
- Assist with lending input into the creation of operating and capital budgets.
- Maintain a safe, positive and productive work environment and ensure this intent is communicated and adhered to by all laterals and subordinates
- Communicate relevant information to department and others within the company within a timely manner through proper channels
- Continually strive for improved means and methods toward department management, including giving and receiving feedback from colleagues, subordinates, and upper management
- Maintain positive, cooperative, team-oriented attitude and abide by all MWF Human Resources and Legal policies toward treatment of all MWF employees
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Complete all duties otherwise assigned
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Three years of proven experience in building and grounds maintenance and operations for a large, complex facility
- Basic knowledge of plumbing, electrical systems, carpentry, painting, and masonry work
- Experience using hand and electrical tools
- Physical stamina and dexterity
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid Pool Operators License preferred.
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple projects at any one time.
- Ability to resolve complex repair projects that may require the collaboration of other team members or service providers.
- Functional knowledge of the special event business
Education and/or Experience
- Educational degrees or equivalent in-field, technical, military or industry experience.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret company policies, budgets, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Foreign language skills are a plus.
Special Position Requirements
- Understanding of how to properly operate and maintain power tools and keep them in safe working order
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and up to 75 lbs. on an occasional basis
- Ability to work from ladders, lifts and other elevated platforms - indoors and outdoors
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
Employee will frequently work overtime including evenings and weekends. Employee will be exposed to various weather conditions.
The work involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts or machines, fumes or irritant chemicals. May be required to use protective clothing, or gear such as masks, goggles, gloves or shields.
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc., provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of a person's race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), age, national origin, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We also abide by the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law governing employment of individuals with disabilities.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Job Applicant Submission: Maintenance Technician" in the subject line for a chance to further explore this opportunity.